9 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
Achim Ennenbach
(@achim)
SimSync PRO Developer Admin
Topic starter

Dear customers,

unfortuanelly we had a very big hardware issue on our main server.
Not only the database harddisk crashed, at the same time our second database on our second harddisk ( Raid-System ) crashed too.
Due to this our syncronisation with the other two server reported that there are no more files on the main database.
So also the files on these servers have been lost nearly at the same moment.
But we've managed to restore files on one of our systems.
At the moment we are quite confident that everything has been restored, maybe some older data you've deleted in the last few days also, but everything, that was in our database should be back now.
Although we are confident, we want to please you to check if everything is o.k., because we can not ensure.
To become absolutely sure that everything is o.k. it's recommened to delete the series and make a new transfer from your gameserver.
We are quite unhappy that this happens.
In the past we checked lot of times our backup-concept and we were sure, that this can't happen what now happened.
Two databases on a raid system and two additional server both with their own raid-system, we've thought is enough.
Our bad luck was, that the syncronisation from our main database server was still working, even if at this time nearly nothing else has been working.
For the future we will have an additional backup system, writing the complete database once a day on an additional server located in another server-centre and hosted by another provider.
We are really disappionted about this happens, and we don't really know how to excuse ourselves.

For security we've locked all sync's in the websync, so that your driver aren't able to sync before you had the chance to look if everything is o.k.
So please unlock the sync and reindex your series.

For your trouble you have according to our problem we want to give you 3 additional month's for your booked package for free.

Please apologize this problem.

With best regards

Jopo and Achim

Posted : 16/06/2011 3:11 pm
(@caterkiller)

Seems to be OK here. The only problem is that Simsync re-download all series I had already on my hard disk.
I think the date of the files have been a little change due to the restore, but that's not a big problem.

Posted : 16/06/2011 7:07 pm
(@bfisher)
Eminent Member

Can this issue be fixed? We have 4 series, and that is a major issue with many of our members that race in several of them. Plus a few are on metered internet and the extra download is a problem.

Posted : 16/06/2011 8:54 pm
(@caterkiller)

Well I think I spoke too fast. It seems there's a big problem, because now we have a lot of errors on rFactor loading into showroom, car selection and track loading. It makes rF crash almost all times.
We tried to upload again the whole serie and rebuild an index, but we have the same problem.
We'll see if we can solve this by using a standard package on our own FTP to see if that's our install wich is corrupted or the Simsync server.

Posted : 17/06/2011 12:39 am
Achim Ennenbach
(@achim)
Topic starter

@Bruce: i have copied both (virtualonlineracers.com and vlms_erl.com) again from our backup to the main server. Maybe i used wrong settings during the first time. I will index the series again and check if the filedates changed.
[edit] Did what i mentioned above, but no change...

@David: I'm sorry to hear that. At the moment i can't see how i can help you. ...

@Both: The only option i see, is to upload the files again with an ftp client that is able to keep the file date (like Filezilla). If you use Filezilla, check if the option Transfer -> Preserve timestamps of transferred files is enabled before uploading the files.

Posted : 17/06/2011 7:58 am
(@hansgh)

Hi, it seems all files sized around 40MB and larger were lost.
Luckily we had backup of it all for our series, and could re-upload them.

Edit: There are still problems with your web-site though. Syncing often "hangs" - nothing happens - and also the forums etc. take ages to load pretty often. That also results in troubles loading the series-update-iframe you provide.

Posted : 18/06/2011 2:07 pm
(@smoking_joe)

I re-uploaded all our series.
Most the files had to be overwritten due to diffrent modification dates.
After indexing, only few files had to be downloaded by the client (since the files had the correct dates again after uploading).

Maybe that will fix the issue that your clients have to download too much.

Leo

P.S. thx achim & jopo for the short downtime !

Posted : 18/06/2011 2:48 pm
(@bfisher)
Eminent Member

I re-uploaded all our files to the server (using filezilla with the preserve time stamps checked). I ran an index, and still need to download 4500 files (in just 1 series). Any other ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Posted : 18/06/2011 9:17 pm
Achim Ennenbach
(@achim)
Topic starter

Do you have an archive of the whole series somewhere on a server or could upload that archvie to the server?
I could extract that archive directly on the server. That also preserves the filedates. But the main point could be that this can be done by your drivers too. From my point of view, the sync should recognize those files as "up to date" and should not download them again.

I don't see any other solution and even this one has got only 50% chance to work...

Posted : 20/06/2011 8:25 am