Clear all

Using the Delete feature

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@bfisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm sorry... another newbie question. We've read everything we can understand but we're still not able to make this work...

Scenario:
- Our mod has 4 classes of cars with multiple car manufacturers in each class. The skins are under each appropriate car manufacturers folder.
- We want the ability to remove some of the skins if a driver changes his car, or retires, etc.

So the folder tree (example) would be:
gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette\VOR Team 1
and
gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette\VOR Team 2, etc.

How do we remove team 1?

We tried enabling the delete function and then in the "delete subdirectories" area we put: GameData\Vehicles\ILMS_2010*

and when that didn't work we tried:
GameData\Vehicles\ILMS_2010\*

and when that didn't work we tried:
GameData\Vehicles\ILMS_2010\Corvette\*

And when that didn't work we came here 🙂

Is this a feature of simsync? Are we doing it wrong? (we did remember to index every time! 🙂 )

Thanks!

Posted : 16/04/2010 9:10 pm
Achim Ennenbach
(@achim)
SimSync PRO Developer Admin

Put an empty file into gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010 to force the sync to "scan" all sub-folders for files which are not on the server.
The "problem" is, that the sync only becomes "aware" of folders (and it's sub-folders), if there is a file in it.

So in your case, he is aware of the files in gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette\VOR Team 2, but due to the fact, that there is no file in gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette\VOR Team 1 or gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette, he doesn't scan this folder or sub-folder for files which are not on the server ...
I know that's a bit tricky, but there is no other solution at the monent...

Posted : 16/04/2010 9:25 pm
(@bfisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

OK - I think I understand. Will test and report back (might be tomorrow though).

thanks!

Posted : 16/04/2010 9:59 pm
(@bfisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I just checked - and there are several files in the gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010 folder... and even in the gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette folder.

Do I need to put the blank.txt in the gamedata\vehicles\ilms_2010\Corvette\Team 1 folder? Basically we delete the team files out of the folder and replace it with the blank.txt?

This won't delete the folder itself - but it gets rid of the files that show up in rFactor. Do I have this right now?

Thanks!

Posted : 16/04/2010 10:10 pm
Achim Ennenbach
(@achim)

OK, Bruce. I will check this tomorrow ...

Posted : 17/04/2010 12:37 am
Achim Ennenbach
(@achim)

Sorry for being a bit late ... :floet

The problem is, that 1 series is defined as "Do not delete" and the other as "Do delete". In that case, the sync uses the "Do not delete" option.
That behavior is due to the fact, that both series could be synced into 1 game installation. So if you now sync the series where "delete unused" is defined as yes, it could happen that the sync would delete files which might be in use by the other series.
I hope to find a solution in the next version of the sync, which i'm developing at the moment ...

So, if you want the VOR Series to use the "delete unused" option, you need to setup the other series in the same way ...

A small hint...
If you copy custom files to standard rFactor folders, you MUST include the original rFactor files into the sync, otherwise the sync will assume them as unused and deletes them.
So, take a look into the rFm, UIData and locations folder. There are files which are needed by rFactor and which will be deleted in case you have custome files in the folders on sync server. 😉

Posted : 18/04/2010 11:07 am
(@bfisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ahhh - good point - that could cause issues for drivers who may have custom plugins, etc. I'll need to research and test this function a bit more.

Maybe we'll skip the delete function for now 🙂 Thanks for looking into what we were doing wrong.

Posted : 19/04/2010 2:09 am